Thursday, September 8, 2011

How to Make a Lightsaber for $7


Wapley and I saw this lightsaber from Pottery Barn Kids and we fell in love with it.....but not the price. So, I decided I would try to make my own. I went to Home Depot and walked around until I could come up with ideas for materials to build it with. I finally decided that PVC pipe would be the cheapest and easiest to work with. I played around with the different pieces and came home with this little assembly:


First, you want to spray the small long piece red, and all the other pieces black. After they dry, you can assemble them to look like this. Just ignore the random piece of fabric in the corner, I don't really know why it is there...


Don't forget to buy a piece to put on the tip of the lightsaber to give it a rounded edge. Sorry, I am not familiar with PVC pipe piece names, but you can see the little red piece in the picture above and below. Just hot glue it on the end. Next, we move on to the handle:


All you need is some silver paint, and popsicle sticks or tongue depressors. Paint with the silver as you wish; I chose to paint the upper handle silver and then just make stripes on the larger part. Take three of the sticks and cut them in half. Place one horizontal on the handle and then stack the remaining 5 and glue them together. It should look something like this:



Then, paint the single piece silver and the stack black and add two silver buttons. Also, I chose to add glow in the dark paint on top of the red paint to make it extra fun. You can see the streaky paint drying in the pic:


Here is the glow in the dark paint I used. Can't wait for tonight to see how it looks!




I then hammered on the back some little picture frame hangers, and hung it on the wall. Done! Total cost: $7



Wednesday was Gum's first day of preschool. She was SO excited to go!


She had a great first day and loved playing with her friends! Now if only Wapley felt the same way about school....



3 comments:

  1. I love the light saber and Wapley's Star Wars room!
    Gum looks so excited about school! She's such a sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie this is way too creative! You have so much talent! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi. Nice work. I love your Lightsaber. I'm starting a project to build my own Lightsabers :-) Click on my page: http://www.stellarwarriors.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete