Friday, September 2, 2011

How to make a Star Wars Shirt




Now that Wapley is at school all day, my priority (according to Wapley) is obviously making Star Wars things for him. I decided to try and start making shirts for him, since now that he is in school he is just going to ruin them anyways; this option is much cheaper. Total cost to make this shirt: $4.

I saw this R2D2 shirt at Old Navy a few months ago that I wanted to buy for him, but it sold out in his size. So, this shirt was my inspiration.

First, you need a plain shirt, freezer paper, an exacto knife, and screen print paint.



Draw any Star Wars design that you want on a piece of paper. And yes, it must be Star Wars. Then, place the freezer paper over top of your drawing, shiny side down and trace your image onto the freezer paper. You can then cut out your stencil with the exacto knife. Don't you just love my craft table?



Place the stencil on your shirt, shiny side down, and iron it on. The heat should cause a seal between the shirt and the stencil. Make sure that you put a layer of freezer paper between the front and back of the shirt so that the color doesn't run through. You can then paint whatever colors you like. This shirt was a little bit complicated, I had to make multiple stencils for the different layers of color.



Here is the first layer completed. Now on to the next layers of stencils....







For the red beam, I used puffy red paint to give it some depth and texture. Almost done...



And, done!



And because this post is way too serious, I will leave you with Wapley's new favorite game......







4 comments:

  1. That is so cool I have always wondered how to silk screen stuff that is awesome!
    -Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Problem here, one must have a little bit of talent to draw the design, that I don't have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! The shirt turned out great. You used freezer paper to make the stencils? That's amazing! Well, I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Sherry> Now you know who can make your annual family shirts next time...

    Nice work Katie!

    ReplyDelete