Monday, August 29, 2011

Wapley's First Week at School


Poor Wapley has had a rough week. Wapley does not like school, not one bit.

Nervous first-day-of-school smile. He got the Star Wars watch he had been wanting with breakfast. I was going to mark on the 3'oclock so he could check his watch whenever he wanted to come home and see how close it was, but sadly the watch was too big and wouldn't stay on his wrist. Strike one.


Wapley also did not like the blueberry waffles because part of it turned brown-ish from toasting. Strike two.

Miss Gum got a Hello Kitty charm for her charm bracelet. She was very excited.



This is what you get when you ask Wapley to smile. Good thing we had some extra time to spare.



Much better......

Ahh finally, there we go.....


And off to school we go. He was very nervous, but a little bit excited. He walked right on in...


Gave his teacher a hug....


Told Gum it would be ok ( she was very upset).....


And went and sat down....


I honestly thought he would be nervous the first day, but then love it. Nope, not the case. When I picked him up, he stared at the ground and walked quietly to the car. When we got in the car, he started crying and said he never wanted to go back.

Nana called and wanted to know how his day was, and he said "Nana, if you ever have a kid come out of your tummy, and it is a big kid, whatever you do, don't send him to that eagle school." That pretty much sums it up right there. Strike 3. Wapley does not like school.

Stories from the First Week:

Wapley likes to talk. He is very upset that his teacher keeps telling him to be quiet and that she doesn't call on him when he raises his hand. "And Mommy, she wouldn't even let me tell her about Darth Vader!!!"

"Mommy, I was talking to my teacher, and I know she heard me but she was pretending that she didn't hear me. So I told her again, and she still pretended she didn't hear me. So I told her again and she still didn't do anything!!!"

Wapley was telling me about some 'singing thing' they were doing, and he didn't want to do it but they made him, so he got upset and went and sat down and started crying. "Mommy, I was crying and some girl in my class came over and patted my back. I didn't tell her to stop, I liked her patting my back. So I pat her back back. And then I held her hand. But Mommy, I didn't hold her hand just because, I held it because she was nice to me when I was sad." So sweet.

Wapley is having a hard time making friends, some of the kids are picking on him. But one thing I love about him is his determination. Wapley does not give up!
Me: What's this?
Wapley: The kid's phone number
Me: Who? Why do you have his number?
Wapley: I don't know, I can't remember his name. You can just call him and say hey kid, 'Wapley' lives here, and tell him where I live, come play Star Wars Legos with him.
Me: I don't think it quite works that way
Wapley: But I asked him if he had Star Wars Legos and he said no. Mommy, he is missing out, he needs to come to my house and play with them.

Every day I went to pick him up, he had no smile, no emotion, just stared at the ground. It just tore at my heart, where was my happy goofy boy? Even at home, he was just not himself. This started to change Friday. I picked him up and we walked outside into the scorching heat.
Me: Wow, it's really hot out here isn't it?
Wapley: Yup. Time to get out your reflector shields. Brrrrooop! (that would be the sound of the reflector shield)
He moved his arm up like a robot to cover his eyes. He told me to do the same, and then said "reflector shield, unite!" and grabbed my hand. I smiled. Wapley was still there.

Later that night, I caught he and Gum standing in front of the mirror looking up their nostrils. "Mommy, look! I have hair in my nose!!!" A few minutes later, I heard him chasing Jason around yelling "Daddy wait! I want to see your nostril hairs!!! And then, "Daddy, if you grow your nostril hair really long will it be a mustache?"

I felt a huge wave of relief. Yup, Wapley is back.......




2 comments:

  1. This week will be better! Wapley just needs some time to adjust. Teachers have a saying: "Believe only 80% of what your kid tells you about school, and the teacher will believe only 80% of what your kid tells her."

    ReplyDelete